Parish Priest: Fr. Gerry Comiskey
Telephone No: 049-9522104
Email: email@example.com /firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday: 10:00 a.m.
St. Patrick’s Church, Milltown (from Kilmore Diocesan website www.kilmore.ie)
Was built at the centre of the village during the years 1867/68 to replace a thatched barn type chapel which had stood on the same site for roughly one hundred years. The architect who designed it was Mr William Hague of Cavan and Dublin. The contractor whose building firm constructed it was Mr Hugh Kelly of Granard, Co. Longford. The parish priest of Drumlane at the time was Fr. Patrick O’Reilly and the curate was Fr. John O’Reilly. The walls of the new church were built from local limestone interspersed with level courses of sandstone. White brick was used for the dressing of the doorways and windows, with sandstone for the sills and arches. Bath stone was used extensively within the interior of the building. This was supplied by Silthorpes of Dublin.
The Dedication Ceremony for St. Patrick’s Church took place on Pentecost Sunday, 31st May 1868. On that occasion Solemn High Mass was celebrated by Bishop Nicholas Conaty. A special sermon was preached by the celebrated pulpit orator Fr. Thomas Bourke, O.P. The ceremony concluded with Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament given by Bishop John Brady of Perth, Western Australia.
To view the Pastoral letter from the Irish Catholic Bishops Conference – www.catholiccommunications.ie